This page provides an overview only of typical department financial transactions. Content on this page is provided as a courtesy; full and final information should be sought from the college or university. Contact one of the People at the bottom of the page for more information on listed and other financial topics or visit the CFAES Business Service Center or The Ohio State University Purchasing Department or Office of the Controller.
- Options (for purchases)
- Contracts and Agreements
- Apparel and Promotions
- Purchasing policy (link is in left menu)
- PCard Policy (OSU) (link is under Quick Links)
- Animal Sciences Department PCard Policy and Procedures (in Buckeye Box folder: Animal Sciences Employee Internal Resources)
- eRequest (requires your OSU login)
- Contract Book (click here, then click on Contract Book; login is required)
Instructions via eRequest ASSIST (requires university log-in). Useful tools:
- Job Aids & Tools / Job Aids / "Entering an eRequest"
Two main paths exist for expenditures of funds:
- Purchases via eRequest (purchaser accesses eRequest)
- Travel via eTravel (purchaser does not directly access eTravel)
All transactions should fit under one of these categories and be carried out as described.
Each expenditure must have a specific fund from which the money is withdrawn to pay for the transaction. If you do not know the funds to which you have access, contact one of the department People listed below.
All expenditures should have an eRequest associated with the transaction. The only exception to this policy is Travel; see the Travel page for more information.
The eRequest is a depository for all aspects of a purchase, from start to finish. The eRequest tracks all steps in the transaction, so you can revisit the eRequest any time to obtain information on status of purchase, to add attachments as required, and to review attachments generated by the Business Center.
|Vendor:||Internal||Outside (Approved)||Outside (New)|
|Description of Vendor:||OSU supplier (e.g., UniPrint, University Catering, a department, etc.)||Supplier outside of OSU departments.||Outside vendor not currently pre-approved by OSU.|
|When to initiate eRequest:||Transaction starts with eRequest. Submit items to be ordered via eRequest. Once transaction is approved by appropriate approvers, Business Center will forward request to department selected and order items.||Transaction starts with eRequest. Submit items to be ordered via eRequest. Once transaction is approved by appropriate approvers, Business Center will generate purchase order and order items.||After vendor is approved.|
|What to mark in eRequest under Purchasing/ Payment Option:||
Choose Internal Order
Note Internal Order box when you are requesting goods or services from another university department.
Choose Standard Purchasing Request. Or see PCard row below.
For a list of approved vendors, visit the Contract Book (note that this list changes frequently): see Links above. Reminder: Do not go to Staples, and always use Coke products. If in doubt about vendors, ask one of the department People below.
|Once the vendor is approved, continue as with an Approved vendor.|
|Other eRequest Instructions:||
Vendors: Choose the internal vendor from list (View All) in eRequest under Vendor/Payee and Item Details
See General Guidelines for eRequests below.
If you will be making the transaction, then under Comments note that the Business Office should not put in the order. The Purchase Order generated will be attached to the eRequest; access the PO for making the order.
See General Guidelines for eRequests below.
Before filing an eRequest, a new vendor must be set up in the PeopleSoft system. To be set up in the system, a vendor must complete an AP Compliance Form (see Forms below). Once the AP Compliance Form is filled out by the vendor, complete the eRequest and attach the AP Compliance Form to the eRequest.
|Quotes:||Include a quote or email from the vendor on the eRequest, if possible; it reduces the amount of time spent identifying the correct items to order.||
Include a quote or email from the vendor on the eRequest, if possible; it reduces the amount of time spent identifying the correct items to order.
Some approved vendors are set up to automatically transfer quotes into eStores. The vendor must prepare the quote and upload it to eStores. You can then enter eStores from eRequest and go to the supplier's website to access the quote. It can then be automatically uploaded into the eRequest. For instructions, contact one of the department People below.
(more info below chart)
When using a PCard, note Purchasing Card Preferred box on eRequest and add the last four digits of the PCard in the Quote ID box.
PCard transactions need to be submitted no later than two days after the purchase. This is a University policy. See PCards below for more information.
|eRequest Special Situations:||University Catering is considered an Internal Vendor. See General Guidelines for eRequests below.||When purchasing meals for a group of people, preferably use one of the food vendors listed on the Purchasing pages (Contract Book - see Link above) - e.g., Catering, Food. See General Guidelines for eRequests below.|
- Status of Order - To find the status of an order, refer back to the eRequest. The college Business Office will be adding comments and a copy of the purchase order if needed, so all this information is available at one source.
- Business Purpose - The business description must include a descriptive justification (who, why, what, etc.). Business purpose should be written so an individual unfamiliar to the organization’s operation can understand why the transaction occurred. Click here for examples.
- Meals: In an eRequest for Business Purpose, list all attendees at meal, business purpose for meal, place where meal took place.
- Account Number - Note the account number or name of the account from which to withdraw funds to pay for the purchase. If not known, one of the department People below can get it for you.
- Packing Slips / Proof of Receipt - Required for Internal Vendor Orders and Purchasing Cards purchases over $75. Add to eRequest once order is received or work is finished.
Purchase Orders - Purchase Orders do not have to be exact. A high estimate on an eRequest is sometimes just as good as an actual cost. You are not obligated to spend the Purchase Order amount. Estimating amounts give you the flexibility to create PO’s to avoid an ATF.
- After-the-fact Purchase Orders (ATF) are those eRequests that are submitted to create a PO after the goods or services have been received or after an invoice has been received. Both of these are violations of OSU purchasing and financial policies. Get authorization to purchase PRIOR to the commitment being made (this is for your own protection and to avoid personal liability for the purchase). If you are confronted with having to submit an After the Fact Purchase Order, consider– will the company take credit cards? Then a PCard could be used.
The Purchasing Card (PCard) allows purchases as a subset of the eRequest. Every PCard transaction requires an associated eRequest to be filed.
The Department of Animal Sciences operates under the Animal Sciences Department PCard Policy and Procedures. The document, "Animal Sciences Dept Pcard Policy and Procedures.pdf," can be found in the Animal Sciences Employee Internal Resources Buckeye Box folder; it covers the policy and procedures for department procurement cards. Department PCard managers include those employees listed below. Individuals using a department PCard to one of the aforementioned managers must follow the policy and procedures spelled out in the policy. Note that the policy includes:
- Required training prior to PCard use
- Required PR# and T# prior to PCard use
The Animal Sciences Department PCard Policy and Procedures must be followed. Any training must be obtained and documented before use.
- Obtaining a PCard - PCards can be obtained from one of the PCard Managers below (some department areas have a designated PCard).
- Logging Out/In a PCard - All PCards must be logged out and then logged back in with their managers (a log book is used).
- Sales Tax - Ensure purchase does not include tax - see Sales Tax on PCards below.
- Business Purpose - The business description in the eRequest must include a descriptive justification (who, why, what, etc.). Business purpose should be written so an individual unfamiliar to the organization’s operation can understand why the transaction occurred. Click here for examples.
Card Use - Add last 4 digits of Card Number in the Quote ID box of the eRequest.
- If you have an attachment that includes the entire card number, delete all numbers except the last four before attaching the receipt to the eRequest.
- Fund Number - Include the funding source on the eRequest. If you have questions concerning the different funds that you have authorization to use, contact one of the department People below. Funding sources should be included on the eRequest on all other purchases as well.
- Packing Slip - Transactions involving the purchase and delivery of goods must be documented by a packing slip to validate receipt of goods. When using the PCard for orders that will be shipped, go back to the eRequest and attach to the eRequest a scanned copy of the packing slip, if purchase is $75.00 or greater, and of the receipt once the item is delivered.
For PCard Managers Only:
- Maintain the log with each transaction noted at the time the Pcard is used.
- When you receive your monthly PCard statement, reconcile it to your log. The log needs to be signed by the pcard manager.
- The log, PCard statement, and individual eRequests with the original receipts must be deposited in the PCard Receipts mail slot in the mailroom (110K Animal Science Building) as soon as possible.
The Ohio State University is exempt from sales tax in the State of Ohio and other applicable states.
- Download the State of Ohio Sales and Use Tax Blanket Exemption Certificate (see Forms below).
- Advise the merchant of exemption status before purchase is complete - refer to the University’s tax ID printed on the front of the PCard.
- Under $10 - no need to recover.
- Over $10 - make reasonable attempts to recover and document attempts in the eRequest.
eStores is explained at OSU Purchasing: click here to visit the Purchasing webpage. "eStores is an on-line store / web site (similar to amazon.com) filled with catalogs from contracted suppliers. It is a purchasing tool that provides users an easy way to search for and order needed items."
eStores can be accessed through the eRequest system. See the link above to log into the eRequest system.
When in eRequest, click on the eStores icon. You can search by item or browse supplier websites. To learn more about eStores and how to use it, visit the ASSIST Training module for eStores. Note,
- eStores vendors are preferred vendors.
- eStores order are processed first.
- Multiple eStore vendors can be used on the same erequest.
- Multiple UNIV chartfields can be used on the same eRequest - orders can be split funded; same goes for Purchase orders.
Note that some approved suppliers may use the "My Quote" site. Suppliers have been advised to post only the final version of their quotes to the “My Quote” site. Departments are expected to use “My Quote” for order placement only. If you need help uploading an electronic quote into an eRequest, ask one of the People Contacts below.
- In eRequest, choose Pay Someone / Reimbursement to Employee.
- Remember to add a scanned copy of the receipt(s) to the eRequest.
- When requesting a Reimbursement to Employee, submit immediately to one of the department People below a copy of the approved eRequest and the original receipt(s) attached.
- Goods and services that require a signed contract, agreement or equivalent documentation must be authorized by the Office of Business and Finance. Under no circumstances should employees sign contracts.
- Contracts/agreements need to be scanned and attached to the eRequest.
Apparel and Promotions
- Purchasing apparel? See the guidelines provided at CFAES Finance.
- Purchasing promotional items? See more guidelines provided at CFAES Finance.
- OSU AP Payment Compliance Form (Substitute W-9 Form) - go to Forms / Accounts Payable / OSU AP Payment Compliance Form (Substitute W-9 Form)
- State of Ohio Sales and Use Tax Blanket Exemption Certificate (go to Tax Compliance / State of Ohio Sales and Use Tax Blanket Exemption Certificate) - You will need to complete with vendor/merchant name.
- Financial Transaction Exception Form (go to Goods and Services / CFAES Exception Request Form) - "Deans, vice presidents and designees have the authority to approve, on an occasional, non-recurring basis, exceptions to university expenditure and travel policies." E.g., for Exceptions to dollar limits for business meals and entertainment expenses; exceptions to the requirement to obtain original itemized receipts; after-the-fact purchase orders; non-contract office supply, shipping and beverage purchases."
Department of Animal Sciences Contacts
|Julie Morris||Woosterfirstname.lastname@example.org||108 Gerlaugh Hall||330-263-3908|
|Cheryl Deisch||Columbusemail@example.com||110F Animal Science Building||614-292-4150|
|Lauren Parkins||Columbusfirstname.lastname@example.org||110C Animal Science Building||614-292-5943|
|Michelle Milligan||Columbusemail@example.com||221 Animal Science Building||614-292-7374|
|Joan Jerauld||Columbusfirstname.lastname@example.org||116 Plumb Hall||614-292-6564|
|Julie Morris||Woosteremail@example.com||108 Gerlaugh Hall||330-263-3908|