The Waterman Dairy Farm is open to groups both within and outside of The Ohio State University. Tours are provided to a wide range of audiences, from elementary students to professional groups. Tailored to fit the interest and knowledge base of visitors, each tour will last approximately 45 min-1 hour.
Generally, tours go throughout the facility, learning the function and purpose for the design at Waterman. Tours also learn about herd management and how calves are successfully raised to become a productive milk cow. How cows are milked and the importance of parlor management in a modern dairy will be covered as well.
The cattle at the facility are very well acquainted to tours and combining that with their curiosity and docile temperament allow visitors to interact with them.
- Cost: $1.00/visitor. Cash & checks are accepted methods of payment.
- For safety, children must be at least 4 years old.
- Minimum group sizes are 10 people; maximum group sizes are 100.
- Tours must be requested at least 1 week ahead in the summer.
- Tours must be requested at least 3 weeks ahead during the school year
- Tours are offered weekdays between 8:00a.m. and 3:30p.m. (Select groups can be hosted on weekends).
- All visitors must have not traveled outside of the United States within 10 days prior to visiting (This guideline prevents transfer of foreign diseases to our cattle).
- Visitors must complete the Biosecurity Form (pdf) prior to visiting.
- To prepare you for the visit, we encourage you to take advantage of the following informative websites:
http://www.drink-milk.com.- (Provides information about dairy farms and milk production and its nutritional benefits)
http://www.foryourinfarmation.com. - (Provides curriculum and resources for teachers)
Tour Request Form (click here to link to form)
Click here to download a pdf for parking and location to starts tours.