Miner Institute, a 500-cow dairy, is looking for an assistant calf/youngstock manager to care for all calves from birth to 6 months of age. There are approximately 80 calves from birth to preweaning and 130 calves from weaning to 6 months of age. For the right individual, there is the opportunity for advancement in this position to the role of Calf/Youngstock Manager. W.H. Miner Institute is in Chazy, NY.
- Manage the health and growth of calves to reach Miner Institute’s goals.
- Perform and manage regular feeding (including milk, grain, and hay) and watering of young calves.
- Observe calves for sickness, lameness or any abnormality and treat according to established protocols.
- Perform and manage routine calf management tasks including tagging, vaccinating, dehorning, and extra teat removal.
- Determine milk feeding amounts per calf and per feeding and determine calves eligible for weaning on a weekly basis.
- Follow Research Trial protocols, working closely with Research Team members and graduate students and interns.
- Oversee calf movement between pens, pen cleaning schedules and site maintenance.
- Monitor, schedule, and perform routine bedding of calves.
- Take blood as needed for testing.
- Monitor equipment cleanliness and sanitation.
- Sort calves for sale.
- Maintain Dairy Comp 305 records.
- Monitor inventory of grain, bedding material, medications, and supplies used in the calf department and notify management when supplies need to be ordered
Experience: One year experience in calf care or an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree.
Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Miner Institute offers a generous benefits package including an employer-funded retirement plan, paid time off, health insurance and more. If interested, contact Steve Couture for more information at (518) 846-7121 ext. 133 or (518) 569-4566 or email: email@example.com .