The 61st Annual College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences Recognition Banquet, "Own the Night", was held April 17, 2014, in the Ohio Union. Animal Sciences student Holly Wolfe was one of three banquet co-chairs. A number of Animal Sciences students, faculty, and staff were recognized throughout the evening. The college website and Ohio's Country Journal provide an overview of the banquet and awards given out. Of special note are Dr. Henry Zerby, who received the Outstanding Academic Mentoring Award, senior Kristy Klingenberg, who received a CFAES Internship Award for her internship experience with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, senior Amanda Prickett, who received the Ray A. Miller Council Scholarship, and Saddle and Sirloin club, which received the Ed Johnson Outstanding Student Organization (Buckeye Dairy Club was also one of the three finalists for this distinction). In addition, Tom Katen of Cargill Ingredients was honored with a Meritorious Service to Students Award; he was nominated by Dr. Zerby and has provided great assistance to the department and elsewhere, including serving as contest official for the Ham and Corned Beef Contest at the Little I (read more on this site). Also, Collegiate Young Farmers won the New Activity Award for their Farm to Fork Dialogues event; animal sciences student Kelly Guthrie is president of the group. Finally, Caitlyn Mullins, a meat science major, was recognized for her SEEDS grant for undergraduate research with advisor, Dr. Henry Zerby.
The "Top 20" Outstanding Seniors included the following animal sciences students, who are listed along with the mentor they chose to share the honor. Check out the college's YouTube video showing the Top 20 seniors.
- Kristen Batholomew (mentor - Dr. Ana Hill)
- Molley DePue (mentor - Dr. Henry Zerby)
- Sarah Finney (mentor - Dr. Maurice Eastridge)
- Kristy Klingenberg (mentor - Ms. Mariette Benage)
- Kelsey Koke (mentor - Dr. Kimberly Cole)
- Amanda Prickett (mentor - Dr. Macdonald Wick)
- Allison Pullin (mentor - Ms. Mariette Benage)
- Lara Staples (mentor - Ms. Bonnie Ayars)
- Katherine Wenner (mentor - Dr. Jeff Firkins)
Newcomb Scholars included the following animal and meat sciences students.
- Stacy Faiola (3rd year)
- Kristy Klingenberg (4th year)
- Caitlyn Mullins (3rd year)
- Amanda Prickett (4th year)
- Gabrielle Ruble (2nd year)
View photos from the event on the CFAES Facebook page.
The photo shows a video at the banquet introducing Saddle and Sirloin club as a finalist for the Ed Johnson Outstanding Student Organization.