- Increase producer’s knowledge of carcass merit of the lambs they are producing
- Provide carcass data to producers to aid in sire evaluations
- Promote the high quality product being produced by the Ohio lamb industry
- Expand the number of lambs available for the Ohio State Fair Lamb Sale to support the needs of the Kroger Company
- Provide a greater opportunity for producers to participate in Ohio State Fair sheep activities
Rules for participation:
- Open to any producer of market lambs – wethers and ewe lambs
- Entry Fee - $25/pen of 5 – Maximum of 5 entries per family
- All entries must have a number one pelt (approx. 90 days growth) with a fleece length of (one inch) 1” +/- ¼” (hair breeds will be allowed to show but no shearing will be allowed). Shearing of lambs prior to May 1, 2014 is highly recommended.
- Lambs will not be washed or trimmed.
- Lambs will be shown loose in pens with no handler in the pen at time of judging.
- Lambs showing influence of the callipyge gene will not be accepted.
- All lambs in the pen must weigh a minimum of 100# and no more than 165#. Lambs weighing 120# to 145# and properly finished are desired.
- Lambs determined to be un-thrifty, light weight or extremely thin by the live lamb judge will be eliminated from the contest. The exhibitor is responsible for removing these lambs after live evaluation is complete.
- Any lambs with evidence of prolapse, sore mouth or foot rot will not be accepted.
- All lambs will have full access to water and bedding while housed at the OSF.
- All lambs arrive by 8:00 p.m. on Mon., July 21, 2014.
- All lambs will be tagged, weighed and ultra-sounded to estimate fat thickness on Tues., July 22, 2014, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- Live evaluation of lambs 1:00-2:30 p.m. on July 22, 2014.
- Winners will be announced during the OSF Market Lamb Sale on July 25, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
- Live Animal Placing: $25 22 20 18 15
- Carcass Placing: $200 175 150 125 100
2013 Carcass Winners Included:
1st – Clark Show Stock & Spring Haven Farms, Troy, Ohio
2nd – The Ohio State University Beef & Sheep Centers, Columbus, Ohio
3rd – Glenn & Joann High, Steam Corners, Ohio
4th – Dave Burkhart, Alger, Ohio
5th – Glenn & Joann High, Steam Corners, Ohio
For additional information, contact Gregg E. Fogle at 614.442.1538 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.