The Ohio State University Dairy Judging Team had a busy autumn semester. Their season started on July 28, 2017, with the Ohio State Fair Dairy Judging Clinic. The first week of September, they made a trip to the Maryland State Fairgrounds for a Dairy Judging Boot Camp. Coach Bonnie Ayars believes the best summary for dairy judging is, “I have often remarked that many activities for youth are deposits, yet dairy judging is a major investment.”
Autumn 2017 contests and results:
- Big E Intercollegiate Dairy Judging Contest (September 16, 2017; Springfield, MA)
- Team Results: Second in overall reasons, 4th team in Holsteins and 2nd in Jerseys, 5th place team overall.
- Individual Results: Ella Jackson was 7th in reasons, Cassie Stechschulte was 6th, and Alex Houck was 5th. Jackson was 2nd high individual overall. The margin between Jackson and first place was one point.
- All-American Dairy Judging Contest (September 18, 2017; Harrisburg, PA)
- Team Results: First team overall.
- Individual Results: Ella Jackson wins high individual.
- National Intercollegiate Dairy Judging Contest (October 2, 2017; Madison, WI)
- Team Results: 5th place team overall
- Individual Results: Lexie Nunes 7th high individual.
- North American International Livestock Exposition (NAILE) International Dairy Judging Contest (November 6, 2017; Louisville, KY)
- Team Results: Eighth overall, 3rd in reasons, 3rd in Jerseys, 4th in Guernseys
- Individual Results: Tanner Topp high individual Guernseys, Levi Plocher 3rd high individual Holsteins