You are here
Animal Sciences Alumni Newsletter 2016 02
New to Animal Sciences
The Department of Animal Sciences has added a number of faculty members, and the list below is only the beginning. Additional searches are in process for the following positions: Dairy Systems Management, Cattle Reproduction and Production Systems Management, and Livestock Evaluation Leader.
The faculty members below started in 2015 or 2106.
- Lisa Bielke, Assistant Professor, intestinal microbiology
- Michael Cressman, Assistant Professor Professional Practice, meat and poultry science
- Eric England, Assistant Professor, meat science
- Lyda Garcia, Assistant Professor, meat science
- Sheila Jacobi, Assistant Professor, non-ruminant nutrition
- Justin Kieffer, Assistant Professor Professional Practice and Clinical Veterinarian, shared appointment with University Laboratory Animal Resources
- Chanhee Lee, Assistant Professor, nutrient management
- Elizabeth Parker, Associate Professor Professional Practice, food animal health and physiology, shared appointment with Ohio State Agricultural Technical Institute
- Anthony Parker, Associate Professor, food animal production in a changing climate, Ohio State Discovery Theme faculty position
Alejandro Relling, Assistant Professor, ruminant nutrition
First Annual Meat Judging Coaches Clinic
On January 30, 2016, The Ohio State University Department of Animal Sciences and Ohio Future Farmers of America (FFA) hosted 30 participants in the first Meat Judging Coaches Clinic in the Animal Science building. The clinic targeted those involved in coaching, or interested in coaching, a meat judging team. Participants learned and reviewed the principles of grading and evaluating carcasses and wholesale cuts originating from beef, pork, and lamb. In addition, anatomy and muscle myology were covered for retail identification. The program was initiated by Dr. Lyda G. Garcia, assistant professor of meat science, who recently completed her first year with Ohio State.
“The goal of the program was to assist 4-H and FFA programs to compete at the state and national competitions,” said Garcia.
The clinic was instructed by members of the 2016 Fightin' Buckeye Meat Judging Team (12) and Dr. Lyda G. Garcia.
In the photo at right, 2016 Meat Judging team members present class officials with explanations of all classes.
Lilburn Receives Research Excellence Award
Dr. Michael Lilburn was awarded the 2016 Charles Beard Research Excellence Award from the US Poultry and Egg Association. The recognition took place at the International Poultry Scientific Forum at the International Production & Processing Expo on January 26 in Atlanta, GA.
"The goal of the Charles Beard Research Excellence Award is to recognize outstanding completed research projects, funded by USPOULTRY or the USPOULTRY Foundation, which have made a significant positive impact on the poultry industry."
Read more (pdf) on the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association web site about Dr. Lilburn and the award.
Department of Animal Sciences Evening of Excellence
The Department of Animal Sciences at The Ohio State University will be hosting its annual Evening of Excellence recognition program April 2 at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center. The event will once again feature 10-, 25-, 50-year and current anniversary judging teams; undergraduate and graduate student awards, activities, and scholarship recipients; Animal Science Hall of Fame induction; and Dairy Science Hall of Service induction. Silent and live auctions are included, as well as a buffet dinner highlighting Ohio products and the Department of Animal Sciences Meat Shoppe. If you are interested in attending, see the invitation here.
In the News
Ohio State alumna working toward Olympic dreams after lone year of club sport
The Lantern: feat. animal sciences alumna Katiann Scherer
Transitioning to group housing
Brownfield Ag News for America: feat. Dr. Monique Pairis-Garcia
Beef cow size and its impact on profitability
Holmes County Shopper. feat. Beef School Webinar Series, including OSU Extension Beef Team and Dr. Lyda Garcia
CFAES launches new Gender Initiative project
CFAES news: feat. Dr. Sandy Velleman
UK Board approves four honorary degree recipients for May commencement
UKNOW University of Kentucky News: feat. Dr. Herbert Ockerman
If you want to follow the Department of Animal Sciences news a little more quickly, subscribe to RSS feed. Just visit the News page of the Animal Sciences web site and subscribe.
Animal and meat sciences lost two well-known and well-respected faculty members.
Dr. Burk Dehority
Dr. Dehority passed away February 9, 2016. He joined the Department of Animal Science in 1959 and was a noted rumen and gastrointestinal microbiology expert. He received a CFAES Distinguished Alumni Award in 2009, the OARDC Senior Faculty Award in 2008, and American Society of Animal Science Fellow award in 2009, among other awards of recognition. The Lantern published an article about Dr. Dehority at the time of his retirement in 2007.
Dr. Vern Cahill
Dr. Cahill passed away February 16, 2016. He joined the Department of Animal Science in 1946 and was a noted meat production and evaluation expert. He received a CFAES Meritorious Service Alumni Award in 1993; OSU Gamma Sigma Delta Teaching and International Awards of Merit; the American Meat Science Association R. C. Pollock Award (1993), Signal Service Award and AMSA Fellow (1979), and Distinguished Teaching Award (1967); and American Society of Animal Science Fellows award in 1984. He was inducted into the Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame in 1999. Additional awards and recognitions can be found in an article recognizing him as guest of honor at the Department of Animal Sciences and American Meat Science Association Mentor Recognition Program.
Dr. Cahill took part in an interview in 2003 as part of The Ohio State University Oral History Project; it can be read at Ohio State's Knowledge Bank.
His obituary from The Columbus Dispatch can be found at Legacy.com.
CFAES Alumni Awards
Recipients of the 2016 College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences Alumni Awards will be honored at a lunch March 5. A number of animal sciences graduates are among the honorees.
Meritorious Service Award
- Wesley Budke, PhD Agricultural Education
- Ken Cochran, BS Horticulture
Distinguished Alumni Award
- James Beard, BS Agronomy
- Ian Blount, BS Agribusiness and Applied Economics, MS Agricultural Education
- B. Stevens Buckalew, MS Agricultual Economics
- John Douglass, BS Dairy Science
- Jack Elliot, PhD Agricultural Education
- Richard Gast, MS and PhD Poultry Science
- Karl Kisner, BS Agronomy
- Larry Lokai, BS and MS Agricultural Education
- Linda Vance, BS Animal Science
International Alumni Award
- Godfrey Asea, PhD Horitulture and Crop Science
- Milton Gorocica, MS and PhD Animal, Dairy & Poultry Science
Young Professional Achievement Award
- Carolina Azcarate Espinosa, MS Food Science and Nutrition
- Chad Endsley, BS Agribusiness and Applied Economics
- John Foltz, BS Forestry, Fisheries & Wildlife
- Andrea Garmyn, BS Animal, Dairy & Poultry Science
- Ryan Saxe, AS Horse Science
To learn more about each award, visit the CFAES alumni awards site.
March 18-21: Ohio Beef Expo
March 19: OSU Junior Swine Day
March 31-April 2: Spring Dairy Expo
April 2: Bi-State Youth Poultry Clinic
April 16: Little "I"
April 18-20: 2016 Tri-State Dairy Nutrition Conference