The 2015 Ohio State University Meats Judging Team in the Department of Animal Sciences began another year of competition. The 2015 meats judging team opened its season with its first competition, held in April, placing 5th at the Southeastern contest hosted by The Ohio State University and the University of Kentucky.
The team won beef grading and placed fourth in specifications, fifth in overall beef, and fifth in total reasons.
Joonbum Lee, a senior Meat Science major from South Korea, earned second place individual finish of the contest. Mr. Lee also won specification, placed third in overall beef, fourth in beef grading, and fifth in beef judging and total placing.
Gracie Wolford, a senior Food Science major from Newark, OH, placed second in specifications.
Students representing the Buckeyes at the Southeastern Contest include:
- Benjamin Betteridge, a junior from Conneaut, OH
- Landon Brehm, a junior from Chattanouga, OH
- Savannah Forgey, a junior from Rio Grande, OH
- Joonbum Lee, a senior from South Korea
- Brady Campbell, a senior from Waterford, OH
- Cierra Jordan, a senior from Belle Center, OH
- Lydia Ulry, a senior from Johnstown, OH
- Gracie Wolford, a senior from Newark, OH
- Austin Fenner, a senior from Edon, OH
“This first contest, it helps us understand where we are as a team and individually in preparation of upcoming competitions. I believe they did well,” said Garcia.
The 2015 Meats Judging team is coached by Dr. Lyda G. Garcia, Assistant Professor, Meat Science, and by assistant Garth Ruff, an Animal Sciences graduate student.