Bring the Farm to You is an exciting form of education and outreach. By bringing farm experiences right to people’s locations, they inspire and excite them about their connections to farms, right in their own communities. Bring the Farm to You serves schools, libraries, senior centers, childcare centers, and public and private events through classes, demonstrations, hands-on programs, learning parties, and personal interactions with farm animals.
This year, they are looking for an intern to assist with teaching programs, take pictures and video, interview visitors, and document details of the program to be used as training. In doing so, you’ll become exposed to a fresh form of environmental education – one that shares important and meaningful connections with the client, and supports the independent entrepreneur in an agricultural career and way of life. Additionally, interns will gain experience on a small homestead, learning animal care, self-sufficiency skills, and business administration. The intern will have an opportunity to do some or all of the following tasks, depending on interest and availability:
- Attend on-location programs to assist the Lead Teacher
- Take pictures, video and audio recordings of the programs and of participants interacting with the animals and equipment
- Document details of the programs to be used for training
- Interview program participants and log frequently asked questions
- Assist with routine animal care (brushing angora rabbit, trimming hooves, clipping wings)
- Assist with animal chores such as feeding, cleaning cages, moving hay, etc.
- Assist with tending the beehives and the beekeeping equipment (if interested)
- Assist in the garden and greenhouse, watering, weeding, and harvesting
- Create documents to be used for training and to increase the quality of the programs
- Catalog and label supplies
- Transcribe program scripts from recordings
Compensation and schedule: The intern will work part-time as needed, based on the program schedule. Compensation is $8.15/hour.
To find out more about Bring the Farm to You, visit the site online and sign up for the monthly eZine.
To apply, please email Christa Hein with the following subject heading: Intern Application. If you have a resume, please attach it. In your email, answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in an internship with Bring the Farm to You?
- Do you drive and have reliable transportation?
- What has been your experience and comfort level with animals?
- What type of formal or informal teaching experiences have you had?