The Ohio Poultry Association (OPA) is a dynamic organization representing Ohio’s egg, turkey and chicken farms, processing and allied industries. Caring for consumers and Ohio poultry farms by providing leadership to responsibly produce safe, affordable, and wholesome food is our prime mission. An integral part of our mission is providing for bird health programs. OPA is seeking a qualified individual who is energetic and hard working to join our Bird Health team.
The Bird Health Programs Assistant, will work cooperatively with the Manager of Bird Health Programs, who is responsible for the management and direction of all avian health programs. These programs include the Ohio National Poultry Improvement Plan (Official State Agency) and egg quality assurance programs.
OPA is a small, but vibrant office – a true team environment. This position reports directly to the Manager of Bird Health Programs and ultimately to the OPA Executive Vice President. The position is based in Columbus, Ohio. In state and out of state travel are required.
Duties (in cooperation with Director of Bird Health Programs):
NPIP · OPA is the Ohio Official State Agency for the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP). This is an official USDA program with industry support and leadership. USDA provides oversight and national leadership and staff. OPA works closely with the Ohio Department of Agriculture and the Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory. NPIP duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work cooperatively with State and federal USDA and ODA staff on state bird health programs including Avian Influenza.
- Assist with commercial and mail-order hatchery oversight – flock qualification, hatchery audits and inspections, biosecurity audits, sampling and testing protocol.
- Monitor outreach and surveillance programs to upland gamebird, exhibition, and backyard flock owners. Assist with annual flock qualifications, audits, sampling and testing protocol.
- Responsible for NPIP backyard flock inquiries and participation in programs, including testing.
- Attend local, state and national NPIP, USDA, ODA and OPA meetings as required. Conduct poultry producer and NPIP member meetings as required. Provide for annual Pullorum tester training class.
- Maintain all NPIP record databases. Coordinate processing of NPIP forms, testing results and paperwork. Process laboratory and NPIP invoices. Prepare quarterly serology numbers for accountability. Assist with preparation of applications, quarterly and yearly reports.
- Monitor and maintain NPIP VS Form 9-3 distribution and database.
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of a state permitting program.
Egg Quality Programs – OPA administers the Ohio Egg Quality Assurance Program (OEQAP) and assists members with maintaining records for the Federal Egg Safety Rule.
- Assist with maintenance of OEQAP databases. Distribute test results to producers. Serve as a liaison between producers and the official laboratory and state/federal agencies.
Other Duties –
- Maintain OPA inventory of bird health program equipment and supplies. Track Antigen supply and shipments.
- Assist OPA staff on industry-wide events, programs and projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Minimum Bachelor of Science – preferred major in Animal Sciences or Poultry Science, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to think and act strategically with the capacity for growth in strategic thinking ability. Strong problem-solving skills, and proven project management and continuous improvement experience and coordination of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Open and direct communicator; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Focus on accuracy and detail.
- Sound judgment and unwavering ethics.
- Self-motivation, independent work habits
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and general computer skills.
How to apply:
If you are interested and feel you meet the qualifications for this opportunity, submit your resume, cover letter and references for consideration to Jenna Gregorich. No phone calls please.
The Ohio Poultry Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer