Overview - This position is for a full-time exempt employee who will be responsible for the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame’s 46,000 square foot facility and reports to the Director on major building issues while supporting all Museum departments. The Facilities Manager plays a central role facilitating necessary communication among all staff members regarding daily operation and any departmental events or project needs. This position includes overseeing the museum building maintenance, repair, alterations, utility operations, fire/security and building services including audio/visual, communications and elevator. The position involves coordinating and supporting a variety of museum operating activities including set up and alteration of spaces for Museum exhibitions and retail store operations, special events and fundraisers and museum rentals.
* Supervise and schedule all maintenance staff for daily operations, special events and facility rentals.
Conduct interviews and hire maintenance staff as needed
* Perform and supervise cleaning and maintaining of the facility, including exhibit galleries, conference room, restrooms, public areas and parking lots.
* Basic painting, plumbing, and carpentry.
* Manage the Mahoney Fire and Alarm System for the Museum, including reporting when the alarm signals.
Monitor and maintain the camera security system.
* Set up and break down for all Museum special events, including planning as needed.
* Operate floor scrubber and carpet cleaner.
* Maintain exterior cleanliness and landscaping.
* Snow removal and salting of walks.
* Work with the Curator on exhibit installation, interactive displays and construction.
* Monitor HVAC controls for the Museum and its collections.
* Conduct daily inspections of facility spaces to ensure high standards of appearance and readiness are maintained.
* Respond to all building system failures. Diagnose their cause and supervise all activities required to restore proper operation.
* Coordinate and work with outside vendors
*Manage all vendor contracts associated with structure maintenance and operations, including custodial, fire detection and protection, elevators, HVAC, security, audio/visual, electrical, and mechanical.
* Plan for and supervise building structure and service systems repair, alteration, and upgrade projects.
* Manage the inventory of supplies required by building maintenance and operating activities.
* Coordinate with other Museum staff to minimize the impact of building maintenance and operations activities upon Museum functions.
* Assist in exhibit changes and installation as needed: patching and painting of walls; assembly and movement of display racks, pedestals and supports.
* Manage daily opening and closing of the building among the Maintenance staff including a daily schedule for turning gallery interactives on before the Museum opens and turning them off when the Museum closes.
* Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
• Minimum 5 years experience in Facility management, building operations, managing others or similar relevant experience.
• Requires high school diploma.
• Must be flexible to work long or unusual hours, including holidays and weekends.
• Must be able to climb stairs or ladder.
• Ability to respond quickly to urgent security, building service and utility failures.
• Physical dexterity required to access remote spaces (roof, ceiling crawl spaces, etc.) as well as ability to lift fifty pounds and move items of various weights and sizes
• Familiarity with computer-based project management systems and/or willing to learn
• Experience with plumbing, electric, carpentry preferred
• Interest in the visual arts and museum environments.
• Strong collaborative attitude and attention to detail.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently and organize effectively
• Excellent listening skills and ability to consider ideas of others
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• 401K plan fully funded by employer
• Cell Phone fully paid by employer
• Health Insurance (partially paid by employer)
Please send resume to:
National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame
Att. Jennifer Rickman
191 Union Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
email to: email@example.com