CFAES Give Today

Department of Animal Sciences


Academic Challenges

Academic Difficulty

If your cumulative point hour ratio (CPHR) falls below a 2.00, you will accumulate deficiency points. Deficiency points are calculated by subtracting the total number of credit points from twice the number of credits you have attempted (equivalent to the number of points earned with a C average). Consider the following course schedule:

Course Hours Grade Points Equivalent Total Point
ANIM SCI 2100 3 D+ 1.3 3.9
RURSOC 1500 4      C 2 8
English 1100.01 3 D+ 1 3.9
Chemistry 1200 5      E 0 0
Total 15     15.8

Total points reflect the hours of course enrollment multiplied by the points equivalent to each letter grade. A letter grade of A is equal to 4 points, whereas a letter grade of D is associated with 1 point. Points allocated to +/- grades are in 0.3 increments above and below the mean point value. In other words, a C+ is equivalent to 2.3 points, whereas a C- is associated with 1.7 points.

  A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- D+ D E
Points 4 3.7 3.3 3 2.7 2.3 2 1.7 1.3 1 0

The CPHR is determined by total points/hours attempted. Thus, the CPHR in the above example is 15.8/15 or 1.05. Deficiency points are calculated as points earned (15.8) subtracted from hours attempted*2 (30); therefore, a total of 14.2 deficiency points.

Deficiency points are removed when grades above a 2.00 are earned and deficiency points are added when grades below a 2.00 (the minimum CPHR required for graduation) are earned. A C grade does not change deficiency points. One credit hour of A will remove 2 deficiency points and one credit hour of B will remove 1 deficiency point. If you acquire deficiency points, meet with your advisor and discuss a plan of action for removing these deficiency points. The university specifies minimum academic standards that must be met to remain at the university. Any student in academic difficulty is subject to academic warning, probation, or dismissal from the university. Academic warning occurs when less than 15 deficiency points accumulate. When greater than 15 deficiency points accumulate, a student is placed on academic probation. Achieving a 2.0 CPHR removes a student from warning and probation; however, special-academic probation may be given to a student with at least a 2.0 CPHR when it is determined by the CFAES that satisfactory progress toward a degree is not being made. Decisions of dismissal are made on a case-by-case basis as determined by the CFAES.

There are many on-line resources for determining the number of credit hours needed to raise your CPHR.
Visit: Back-to-College to determine what grades are needed to move you toward good academic standing.

Under the Grade Forgiveness Policy, students may petition to repeat a course and, after completing the course the second time, have the original course credit and grade excluded from the calculation of the CPHR. Although the grade is omitted from the calculation of your CPHR, a record of the original course attempt does remain on your transcript.  The Grade Forgiveness Policy may be applied to a maximum of three courses, however, the same course may be repeated only once under this policy.  Grade Forgiveness is not applied retroactively. To apply Grade Forgiveness to a course, you must petition through the CFAES no later than the 4th Friday of the term in which you repeat the course.  Visit with your academic advisor to complete the petition.  Please note, graduate and professional schools may not recognize Grade Foregiveness and may recalculate your CPHR to include the omitted grade(s).  Under this scenario, your eligibility for application may be affected by the reduced CPHR when applying to graduate or professional schools.

If you retake a course in an attempt to use Grade Forgiveness but earn a grade less than the first attempt in the course, the second grade will still replace the first. Thus, if you earn an E in the second attempt to replace a C from your first attempt, the E will replace the C. If the course is a required course, you will be required to repeat the course a third time.  It is not recommended that you retake courses in which you earned a C or greater.  Retaking courses that you successfully completed can delay your time to graduation and increase the cost of your education.  It is better to complete additional courses that challenge and add breadth and depth to your degree program than to repeat courses in which you have fulfilled the requirements.

In Transition

Transitioning to OSU can be an uncertain time. While you successfully transitioned from high school to the college atmosphere, the transition to OSU with its larger class size, rigorous academics, and fast paced learning environment can create anxiety in many college students. Coupled with feelings of anonymity and displacement, ideas of establishing new friendships and navigating a new environment are intimidating. Ease the transition by the following:

  • Clearly define your career goals
  • Understand your program curriculum
  • Know which courses transfer and how transfer courses fit into your curriculum
    • Meet with a college representative to obtain and discuss your transfer credit report (pdf). A transfer credit report will show courses that meet general credit and courses that fulfill program requirements. Understanding your transfer credit report (pdf) will allow you to make the most informed decisions regarding which courses to take next, while avoiding unnecessarily repeating courses.
    • When possible, you will be awarded OSU course equivalent credit.  If insufficient information is available to determine course equivalency, you may be asked to supply a course syllabus and/or other course documents for transfer credit evaluation.
  • New students transferring into the Department of Animal Sciences from majors outside of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES) need to first contact a college advisor in CFAES: 614-292-6891 or visit 100 Agricultural Administration Building. Once you have met with CFAES, meet with Dr. Mike Davis, Animal Sciences Coordinating Advisor (, to be assigned an advisor in the Department of Animal Sciences.
  • Get involved immediately and begin to establish the sense of community that OSU has to offer. There are many opportunities for student engagement; do not say NO to these opportunities

The Unexpected

If you are struggling in a course you should first contact the instructor to set an appointment to discuss your difficulties. Second, visit with your advisor and consider making an appointment with the Dennis Learning Center. The Dennis Learning

Center provides resources for you to understand your learning style and will help you define strategies to be a more effective student.

The Student Wellness Center is open to students in need of support in emotional, occupational, social, intellectual, spiritual, physical, financial, aesthetic, and environmental wellness. If you have concerns regarding stress, nutrition, sexual violence or addiction, visit the staff of the Student Wellness Center.


The Office of Disability Services coordinates services and programs for students with disabilities. If you have a disability you must provide documentation from an appropriate professional to ODS to register your disability and receive services and accommodations appropriate for your disability.

Leave of Absence

If you are not enrolled during a semester for any reason, you will be placed on leave of absence. When leave of absence occurs for personal reasons or decisions to pursue internships, research, or studies away from the university, you will need to contact the CFAES to be returned from your leave of absence. If leave of absence occurred as a result of university dismissal, you are required to file a petition for reinstatement with the CFAES. Reinstatement for dismissal is not guaranteed and the petitioning student must demonstrate that she or he is committed to academic success.