CFAES Give Today

Department of Animal Sciences


Academic Planning

Academic Planning

Course Numbering System

Courses are assigned a four digit number that represents course attributes. Be familiar with course prerequisites when considering a course. Upper level undergraduate courses commonly require prerequisites at the introductory or intermediate level. Being familiar with the course numbering system allows you to accurately plan your academic program of study and move toward your graduation goals.

Course Numbering System
UG (Undergraduate) - Non Credit Courses
Non-credit courses for orientation, remedial, or other non-college level experiences. These courses are in addition to a program's graduation requirements.
UG - Introductory Level Undergraduate Courses
Basic courses providing undergraduate credit, but not to be counted toward a major or field of specialization in any department. Courses at this level are beginning courses, required or elective courses that may be prerequisites to other courses.
UG - Intermediate Level Undergraduate Courses
Intermediate courses providing undergraduate credit and may be counted toward a major or field of specialization.
UG - Upper Level Undergraduate Courses
Upper level courses providing undergraduate credit that may be counted toward a major or field of specialization.
UG - Advanced Level Undergraduate Courses
Advanced level courses providing undergraduate credit that may be counted toward a major or field of specialization. Graduate students may enroll in and receive graduate credit for 4000-level courses outside their own graduate program.
UG and G (Graduate) - Dual Career Level Courses
Courses that are regularly offered for both graduate and undergraduate credit. Advanced level courses providing undergraduate credit that may be counted toward a major or field of specialization. Foundational coursework and research providing graduate or professional credit.

General Requirements

Within the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, you are required to complete a minimum of 121 credits for graduation, though some degrees and majors will have credit requirements above this minimum. Courses are completed within the general education (GE), major, and minor or minor equivalent categories according to the degree, major, and specialization. The GE requirements represent the shared curriculum of all OSU students regardless of their academic program of study. The GE requirements promote breadth of knowledge across disciplines and outside one's major. While the GE requirements represent a shared curriculum, differences across colleges do exist. If you are considering a major outside of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (including second majors), you should familiarize yourself with the GE requirements specific to the college of interest. Courses accepted within the GE categories for CFAES may be viewed in the Planning link above right. General GE requirements of Animal Sciences include:

GE Category Credit Hours
Writing and Related Skills 9
Math and Data Analysis 7-8
Natural Sciences 16-18
Social Sciences 6
Literature 3
Visual and Performing Arts 3
Historical Study 3
Cultures and Ideas or 2nd Historical Study 3
Contemporary Issues 3
Internship 2
Total 55-58

Social Diversity in the United States and two Global Studies courses are also required. A Social Diversity in the United States is fulfilled through the Social Science selection. Global Studies are often fulfilled through careful selection of the general education (GE) requirements in categories of History, Performing and Visual Arts, Literature, Cultures and Ideas, and Contemporary Issues. 

Major Requirements

A minimum of 39-58 letter-graded course credits are required within the major depending on degree, major, and specialization. Major courses cannot be taken pass/non-pass. A maximum of 6 credit hours of Professional Development (3488), Individual Studies (4193), and Research Distinction (4999) combined may be applied toward the major elective credit depending on the degree, major, and specialization. A minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio (CPHR) must be earned at OSU with at least 30 credit hours earned through OSU course enrollment.

Bachelors of Science in Nutrition Bachelors of Science in Agriculture
See Degree Sheets links above right for downloads.

Minor Requirements

You are required to select a minor (Animal Industries specialization) or complete the minor equivalency (Biosciences and Veterinary Technology specializations and Meat Science major). A minimum of 12 credit hours are required for a minor, though many minors will have minimum requirements that exceed this value. At least one-half of the credits earned in a minor must be earned through OSU course enrollment. No more than 6 credit hours can overlap between the GE and a minor, and the minor must be distinct from the major or additional minors; however, for minors that exceed 12 credit hours, the hours beyond 12 may overlap with the major or an additional minor. A minimum grade of C- must be earned for a course to be listed on the minor or minor equivalencies for Biosciences and Meat Science, and a minimum 2.00 CPHR is required in the minor. Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor, and no more than 3 credit hours of course work graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory may count toward the minor. Minors may be selected within (see link immediately below) or outside the college. In addition, you may be eligible to complete a minor in Meat Science or a second minor in Equine Science or Human-Animal Interactions.

See Degree Sheets links above right for downloads.

Plan Your Degree

You are encouraged to develop an academic plan for graduation. You can access an Academic Plan sheet (Excel spreadsheet) at the Planning link above right.  In general, you will need to complete 15 credit hours per semester to graduate within four years. You should consider study abroad and research. Your academic plan must include an internship. Although circumstances may require you to adjust your academic plan, developing this plan is the first step in realizing and achieving your goal of becoming an OSU graduate.

You must be flexible for your academic plan to succeed. Consider scheduling courses across the GE, major, and minor or minor equivalency categories. Courses may fill quickly, which will require you to find alternatives. There are many courses in GE requirement categories of History, Visual and Performing Arts, Literature, and Cultures and Ideas that do not have prerequisites and can serve as alternatives if a desired course is not available.   

Dual Major or Dual Degree

If you are interested in pursuing a second major, there are two options: dual major, in which a single degree is awarded upon completion of two majors that share a common GE; or dual degree, in which two distinct degrees are awarded upon completion of a second major and the associated GE. Students completing a dual major will receive a single diploma with both majors noted on the student’s record and transcripts. Students completing a dual degree will receive two diplomas upon graduation. For students within CFAES, completion of two majors within the BS in Agriculture results in a single degree. The GE is shared between the majors, but the major course requirements are different. Completion of a second major outside CFAES may also require completion of different GE requirements and would result in the aware of a dual degree. Pursuit of a second major fulfills the minor or minor equivalency requirement of the CFAES. Completion of two majors requires that the requirements of each major set by the departments are met.

Single Degree:

  • Each major must contain at least 18 unique semester hours
  • Overlap with the GE is permitted if allowed by the department of each major
  • An internship must be completed within each major
  • A minimum of 121 credit hours must be completed

Dual Degree:

  • Overlap between major courses is not permitted
  • The GE of both degrees must be met
  • A minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the total required for one degree must be earned (i.e., 151 credit hours must be completed)

The decision to pursue a second major requires commitment and dedication that begin early in one’s academic career. If you are considering pursuing a second major, discuss this option with your academic advisor and an advisor of the program for which the second degree is being sought. The decision to complete a second major must be on file with the CFAES.


Visit with your academic adviser to discuss plans for graduation. Applications for graduation are due one year prior to the anticipated term of graduation. You should adhere to the following guidelines for submitting your application. Applications are submitted on-line through CFAES. Early submission is important to verify that all degree requirement have been fulfilled. Any application received less than one month prior to the term graduation date, will not be processed and you will be required to postpone graduation until the next term.

Graduating Session Application Deadline
Summer Semester 3rd Week of the prior Summer Semester
Autumn Semester 3rd Week of the prior Autumn Semester
Spring Semester 3rd Week of the prior Spring Semester