Advising FAQ



Click on a topic to go to that topic section.

To view the following videos in YouTube, click the video title.


Why meet with your advisor?

Your academic advisor is available to assist you in determining a path for achieving your career goals. He or she will guide you toward taking full advantage of opportunities available during your undergraduate career. Value-added input from your advisor can help you focus your learning and development in your area of interest, establish realistic career aspirations, and achieve those aspirations. There are many opportunities available to you, let your advisor help guide you for your success.

Who is my advisor?

To find out who your advisor is, log-in to your Student Center on BuckeyeLink. Scroll down and, on the right hand side of the page, you will see a box titled “Advisor”. Your advisor’s name will be in the center of this box.

How do I schedule a meeting with my advisor?

To meet with your advisor send an e-mail with your availability (preferably one to two weeks worth) so that your advisor can determine the best possible time when both of your schedules align for an in-person meeting. Click here for tips on preparing for an advisor meeting.

Can I change my advisor?

If you feel that a different advisor would better meet your interests, please contact Dr. Mike Davis at As the Departmental Coordinating Advisor, Dr. Davis will work with you in the advisor re-assignment. Not all advisors are able to accept new advisees. In this instance, Dr. Davis will discuss with you your interests and career intentions to identify an alternate advisor. 


How do I add or drop a class?

You may add or drop a class via BuckeyeLink once your scheduling appointment window has opened. Your scheduling window is listed on your Student Center on BuckeyeLink.

What are the deadlines for adding or dropping a course once the semester has started?

Once the semester has started, various deadlines apply to when you can add or drop a class. 

Adding a Class
Through 1st Friday of the term – You may add any class via BuckeyeLink.
Through 2nd Friday of the term – Instructor permission is required through a Course Enrollment Permission form.
After 2nd Friday of the term – Instructor and Departmental permission is required through a Course Enrollment Permission form.

Dropping a Class
4th Friday of the term – Last day to drop a course via Buckeyelink without a W on your transcript.
10th Friday of the term – Last day to drop without petitioning by submission of a Drop Ticket. A W will appear on your transcript and indicates that you withdrew from the course. Receiving a W will not affect your CPHR (GPA), but repeated W on a transcript  will affect your financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP). In addition, graduate programs might consider the number of W on your transcript in an academic decision. 

Visit with your academic advisor to discuss the pros and cons of withdrawing from a course. Dropping below 12 credit hours (full-time student) can affect financial aid. Click here for additional academic deadlines and procedures.   

What classes should I take next semester?

Academic planning requires time and commitment on your part. Information concerning academic planning can be found here. In addition, click here to see 4-year degree plans for Nutrition, Animal Biosciences, Animal Industries, Veterinary Technology, and Meat Science. The 4-year degree plans provide an example of recommended courses to take each semester to stay on track with your degree. The 4-year degree plans are for reference only. Planned courses should progress you toward your degree by fulfilling GE, Major, Minor, or elective options. Your course schedule should have a balance across the categories. For example, plan to complete courses within the Major each term as courses progress from introductory, to intermediate, to upper level or advanced concepts with more advanced courses often requiring lower level courses as prerequisites. Once you have a general idea of your semester schedule, contact your academic advisor to discuss your academic plan and any questions or concerns regarding your planned courses. You should plan your semester schedule and meet with your advisor in advance of your enrollment  window. Always consider alternate courses should a course fill prior to your enrollment window.

How do I obtain permission to enroll in a class that requires instructor permission?

Some course may require instructor permission. For courses that require instructor permission, a Course Enrollment Permission form  is required. The form must be completed according to the instructions provided and the appropriate signature secured. Once the form is complete, it is submitted to 100 Agricultural Administration and the course is added to your schedule. A Course Enrollment Permission form is also required to:

  • enter a course when prerequisites have not been met
  • schedule a course with a time conflict
  • override a course and enter a course that is full
  • or raise the total registration maximum above 18 credits.  

If I am on a waitlist, what should I do?

Waitlists work on a “first on, first off” basis, so the closer to 1 you are, the more likely you will get into a course. However, a waitlist is never guaranteed enrollment. You should attend class for the first week of the semester if you are on a waitlist. If a course is waitlisted on your schedule, and there are no time conflicts with other scheduled courses, you will be automatically moved into the course should a seat become available. Monitor your BuckeyeLink to ensure whether or not you were officially enrolled in the course. Waitlists close on the first Friday of the term. If you are not added into a course from the waitlist by the first Friday of the term, you will need to request instructor permission to add the course. 

How to schedule a class you need to retake?

When you attempt to schedule a course that you have already taken, you may receive a message indicating that you do not meet enrollment requirements. Please contact your academic advisor.  You may need to complete a Course Enrollment Permission form.

There is a hold on my scheduling window. What do I do?

You may find that you are unable to enroll in a course due to a hold on your account.  You can view hold placed on your account through the Student Center of BuckeyeLink.  By viewing holds you can determine the steps necessary to remove the hold and gain access to scheduling.  Holds that commonly prevent course scheduling include: administrative, advising, Financial Responsibility Statement approval, or Below a 2.0 GPA.  If it is something you can fix by completing action items in your BuckeyeLink, such as your Financial Responsibility Statement, do so immediately. For additional information on holds click here.

What is freshman forgiveness?

If you receive a D, D+, or E prior to completing 30 credit hours, you can apply Freshman Forgiveness to retake the course prior to completing 60 credit hours. The second grade is used to recalculate the overall GPA. Although the first grade is omitted from GPA calculation, it will still appear on a transcript. Since graduate and professional schools do not typically recognize Freshman Forgiveness, the first omitted grade will be included in a recalculated GPA when applying to graduate and/or professional schools.

If you earn a second grade less than the first attempt in the course (i.e., receives an E the second time as opposed to a D the first time), the second grade will still replace the first grade. In this instance, if the course is required for the degree, you will be required to complete the course a third time to re-earn a passing grade.

How do I transfer credits if want to take a summer course at a different university?

Courses at other institutions that are considered equivalent to those offered at OSU can be viewed through Transferology. Visit with your academic advisor to determine transfer course options. When determining course transfer eligibility it is important to select the course to transfer into OSU from the transfer university. Do not select the courses to transfer from OSU to the transfer university, doing so can result in incorrect course selection. If an institution is not supported through Transferology, schedule a meeting with Paul Heimbereger ( in CFAES to determine course transfer eligibility.   


What is an advising report?

An advising report is a summary of your academic history – an unofficial transcript. You can see all courses you have taken and the grades you have received, as well as who your advisor is and your cumulative GPA.

What is a degree audit?

A degree audit shows your progress towards your degree. This tool can identify courses that you must complete and have been completed that meet certain requirements.

How do I order a copy of my transcripts to send in for an application?

To order a copy of your transcript, please click here for the necessary form.

What do I need to qualify into the Honors program?

Please click here for all information, forms, and requirements for joining the Honors program.

When and how do I apply to graduate?

Click here for graduation application deadlines and forms for the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences. You are required to submit a graduation application one year in advance of anticipated graduation. Applications received less than one month prior to commencement are not accepted and your graduation will be postponed until the following term.


How do I complete the internship requirement?

Click here for all information and forms regarding internships. In addition, schedule a meeting with your advisor. He or she will discuss the best possible opportunities for your career interests and will oversee satisfactory completion of your internship experience.

If I do a Study Abroad program, which classes will I receive credit for?

Click here for information on study abroad programs offered through the Department of Animal Sciences and the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences. Read through the information about your program of interest to find what credits you can earn. Study abroad credit may be applied to GE, Major, or Minor requirements depending on the study abroad experience and the credit hours received.


How do I transfer into the major?

New students transferring into the Department of Animal Sciences from majors outside of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES) need to first contact a college advisor in CFAES: 614-292-6891 or visit 100 Agricultural Administration Building. Then meet with  Dr. Mike Davis, Animal Sciences Coordinating Advisor (, to be assigned an advisor in the Department of Animal Sciences.

How do I change programs within Animal Sciences?

If you are a current Animal Sciences students and would like to change your degree specialization or declare or change your minor, visit with your academic advisor to complete the Major & Minor declaration form. If you are considering the Veterinary Technology program, you must first contact Mariette Benage ( to discuss the program and eligibility.

How do I transfer into a major outside of Animal Sciences?

If you are considering a major outside of Animal Sciences you will need to visit with the advising staff for the program of interest. Schedule an appointment to discuss the program and necessary steps in declaring the new major. Programs will differ in their GE and Major requirements and may require pre-requisite course completion or GPA minimums for admission into the major.

If I double major, do I need a minor?

No. Pursuing a second major fulfills the minor requirement within CFAES.

I am considering vet school.

Please click here for vet school requirements. Be sure to meet with your advisor regularly to ensure that you are staying on track and meeting all requirements.


How Do I Find My Enrollment Appointment?

How Do I Run a Transfer Credit Report?